Sharepoint for internal communicators
According a recnt survey by Melcrum,
37% of SharePoint communicators want to increase the use of Collaboration tools…
What are benefits and pitfalls of a new intranet platform?
Based on the experience of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia where was managed previously a confusing set of 45-50 intranet sites (with various CMS, Documentum, FrontPage, etc.) and where they moved to SharePoint 2007.
- Usability: rapid publication of news, etc.
- Integrated search
- Flexible workflows
- Administration, synchronisation with the active directory
- Versioning in document libraries
- Text editor is poor
- Photo editing
- Archiving limitations
- Do not underestimate resources for training and support
- Take your time for initial implementation
Conclusion: Recent survey show an increase of satisfaction levels from 61% to 78.4%
Coughlan, Hugh. Introducing SharePoint at the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. SCM, Vol.14, issue 2, Feb-Mar 2010. pp. 20-23