The cost of Pharma R&D failure
Drug Failure Rates
- Estimated cost of bringing a drug to market: $1.2 billion
- Only one in 5,000 drug candidates that enter preclinical testing ever reaches the market
- For every five drugs that start clinical trials, only one succeeds
- Of the 4,300 companies engaged in drug innovation, only 6% (261) have registered a new drug since 1950.
- Worldwide, the pharmaceutical industry spends $50 Billion per year on R&D, but produces only 21 new drugs per year (2008)
Drug Side Effects Successfully Predicted By Computer Model. Medical News Today, 13 June 2012. Available from: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/246446.php