Posts Tagged ‘Journals’
Peer-review and Impact factor are the factors which influence the most the pharma companies for their journals selection.
McGuire, Ryan. Medical journal selection: pharma’s real estate search. PharmaPhorum, Online on 20th of February 2010.
- Estimation: <> 25-40,000 journals
- 96% are published online
- 8-10% are published under Open Access models
- 20% of science articles are available free of charge
- How many articles have been published ever (means since 1665)? est. 50 millions
- Growth: 1.4 million of articles per year
- There are 2,000 publishers but Top 3 (Elsevier, Springer, Wiley) account for 42% of articles published
- Elsevier itself publishes 250,000 articles a year in 2,000 journals
- The biggest platform of ejournals, ScienceDirect, provides 240 million of downloads per year to 10 million of users
- The cost of publishing a single online scientific journal article is estimated at $10,000
- To purchase an article for an individual: $30-40
- Average cost of a subscription for a library: $3,792 (average cost for a chemistry journal) up to $10,000
- The most expensive: Biochimica & Biophysica Acta, $20,930 a year!
An impressive study research, sponsored by the Publishing Research Consortium: includes interviews of key-people from Pfizer, the CERN, Mendeley, the British Library, from TEMIS, Elsevier, Springer, Nature, Wiley, etc.
Journal Article Mining: a research study into Practices, Policies, Plans …..and Promises Eefke Smit and Maurits van der Graaf. PRC June 2011 153pp. This is a study commissioned by PRC which offers the first comprehensive look at what publishers and others are doing, and plan to do, in both data and text mining of the scholarly, mainly journal, literature. Lots of fascinating detail from a number of viewpoints – from 29 interviews and 190 detailed responses to a survey
Roddy MacLeod announces a new look and some new features for the best journals Table of contents service in the world…
JournalTOCs, the largest, free collection of scholarly journal Tables of Contents (TOCs) that contains 16,387 journals (including 2,140 Open Access journals) from 825 publishers, has been redesigned with more collaborative features…
Wonderful free service, with now a professional look!
The American Society of Microbiology 11 journals continue to represent authoritative sources of published research in basic and clinical microbiology, virology, and immunology, as evidenced by these updated statistics:
* The 2007 Journal Citation Reports credits ASM journals with nearly 43% of all citations in the field of Microbiology;
* The 2007 JCR ranked 6 ASM journals in the top 20 in Microbiology by Impact Factor, including Clinical Microbiology Reviews (#1) and Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews (#3);
* The 2007 JCR also showed an overall increase of 6.4% in the number of ASM journal articles cited in 2007;
* ASM’s online journals had over 9 million unique online visitors in 2007, who downloaded more than 17 million article PDFs